You are here
Poipoia te Reo
This PLD provision is aimed at:
- English-medium Schools, Years 1-13.
- Schools that identify as Level 3, 4a or 4b immersion levels will be prioritised for this professional learning and development (PLD) support.
Participating schools will be supported to:
- Build solid foundations to support a whole-school approach to quality teaching and learning of te reo Māori.
- Promote whole-school proficiency development and use of te reo Māori.
- Provide effective teaching and learning of te reo Māori.
Participants will be supported to develop knowledge and understanding (and application of such knowledge and understanding) of:
- Wider school systems, structures and practices that support responsive teaching and learning of te reo Māori to the needs of students.
- Ways that key Ministry of Education policies, principles and resources (e.g. Ka Hikitia, The New Zealand Curriculum, Te Aho Arataki Marau mō te Ako i Te Reo Māori, He Reo Tupu He Reo Ora and Tātaiako) support the development of te reo Māori teaching and learning programmes.
- Teaching as inquiry in te reo Māori.
- Incorporation of te reo Māori in teaching practice.
- Incorporation of tikanga Māori in teaching practice.
- Responsive and inclusive teaching practices for te reo Māori.
- Effective second language teaching and learning methodologies and pedagogies for te reo Māori.
- Te reo Māori related resources.
- Effective te reo Māori assessment practices for student learning.
- Evaluation and review processes to improve effectiveness of te reo Māori teaching and learning programmes.
- Strategies to involve whānau and iwi in supporting and implementing initiatives to promote and advance te reo Māori learning.
- Practices to support high quality relationships with students and whānau.
Length of programme
- The duration of in-depth support will be agreed to with allocated schools.
- The duration of focused support will be agreed to with allocated schools.
- Schools will be able to access flexible support through regional workshops that will be planned to meet specific needs and advertised.
Te Toi Tupu will provide these services in the following Ministry of Education regions during 2012 and 2013
- Central North
- Southern, Te Tau Ihu o te Waka (Nelson only)